For this project, we started by rolling out a slab of clay to form around a styrofoam tray. Each person's tray was slightly different, so some people had circular ones instead of rectangular ones. After we were sure that the slab was wide enough to cover the tray, we smoothed the clay down around the tray. We let the clay dry just a little, then started painting on the black underglaze. We put on two to three coats of underglaze depending on how dark we wanted the black to be, and once all the coats dried, we used a needle tool to carve away the underglaze into our desired design. Once the designs were complete, we fired the pieces, dipped them in a clear glaze, then fired them again. I think the most successful part of my piece is the texture I achieved in the hair and the eyebrows. If I were to do it again, I would paint more coats of underglaze and would have spent a little more time making sure her face was proportionally correct and not crooked. I think I was introduced to the concept of taking away the highlights in a piece during this project, which was a technique I would later use with scratchboard.